I had the chance early in my career to go through a lot of training classes/experiences as part of the process of “coming up” in large well-run companies. The commitment to build the skills and capabilities of their young talent was a hallmark of companies like Kimberly Clark and Kraft Foods… early stops on my career journey. When I took the role as marketing manager for The Coca Cola Company in 1990, 5 years into my career, I had no idea of the intensive and amazing training that was ahead of me! This story comes from one of those experiences… probably from sometime in 1994 or 1995… now 30+ years ago!
During those days, Roberto Gouizueta was Chairman and CEO, and Sergio Zyman was CMO of the Coca Cola Company. Both individuals were bigger than life to me at the time, and I had the chance to see them speak to groups large and small and to be in meetings with them a time or two early in my days at Coke. It was at one of those meetings, a large worldwide marketing conference hosted by Sergio, where a major priority was for us as marketers to refine our approach, accelerate our work, improve the impact of our plans and in order to do these things we needed to clarify our decision-making approach. While a bit theoretical, we broke out into small groups ( mixed with peers across the world) and began a training module on a “Decision Making Framework” that would help us clarify “Decision Roles” and thus accelerate our actions in the market… it was in these sessions that I learned to “stay away from #3!!
The training simplified ALL problem decision making moments (problem solving scenarios) into one of five categories and our job was to clarify which “category” was pertinent at the moment and accelerate the problem solving ahead.
Decision Making Scenarios
1. I am the decision maker, and I don’t need and am not asking for any input on the decision.
2. I am the decision maker, and I do need input and thus am asking for input from these specific individuals/groups/departments before I make the decision.
3. WE are making the decision and may or may not need input.
4. YOU are the decision maker, and YOU need input from me, other individuals/groups/departments before YOU make the decision.
5. YOU are the decision maker, and you don’t need any input and are not asking for any input on the decision.
We worked through all the scenarios above in our small groups and came together to discuss the opportunities and challenges that the clarification process took… and to realize the “swamp” of #3. We realized that too many times in our day to day work we were finding ourselves in discussions literally “circling” a problem, not making a decision, not getting key input, not clarifying decision rights… and ultimately slowing down the impact in the market. We were setting stuck in the “#3 quicksand” and didn’t even realize it!
I share this little story from the early 90’s to encourage you think about this in your context today. Whether in a small company environment, a non-profit organization, or a foundation (the three environments where I am spending my professional energy these days), ask yourselves if you have w=found yourself in the #3 “swamp” recently and work to push yourselves and your team in #’s 1 or 2… or maybe #’s 4 or 5…. but work hard to eradicate #3 from your team’s daily habits!!
No comments:
Post a Comment