Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Breaking the Ice

I guess part of what makes us all human is our persistent need to look over the next hill, climb the next mountain, hike the "unhiked" trail. This never ending drive while deeply productive, can at times make us miss what's right in front of our noses. This is often true in the work environment when many of us (and I want to emphasize the "us" element) spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about, talking about,and working on the next job!   So much so that we forget about executing, excelling, and building skills in our current roles. Think about these three themes, (executing, excelling, and building skills) as you read the following story from almost 30 years ago. Let me know what you think!

Breaking the Ice is Your Job Breaking the Ice is Your Job levisay7349

2 comments:

  1. Breaking the Ice--when I hear or read this phrase I'm reminded of the travels of Scott, Peary, Henson, Amundsen and others, all of whom tried to break the ice during their explorations. Sometimes, the ice broke them.
    Face

    ReplyDelete
  2. Face

    i agree! My favorite overcoming the ice story is the story of Ernest Shackleton< unbelieveable!!! There is a great book by Caroline Alexander called "The Endurance" that I would highly recommend.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete