Thursday, April 7, 2011

Best Job Ever?



Last Friday I had the pleasure to celebrate my one year anniversary as Chief Customer Officer of Bolthouse Farms. It’s been an amazing year; full of new challenges, an amazing team, and lots of learning. I have to admit that after a business career spanning more than twenty five years; it “feels” great to be learning so much. I am excited about the business, the customers and our team, and am looking forward to a great year (and years) ahead!

Last week’s anniversary started me thinking about the many jobs that I have held since I was a boy, and I started to think about which one was the “best”. It’s interesting to think back over the many part-time, summer jobs, and full time roles that I have held over my life. I have written about at least one of those occasions in “The Story of Floyd” earlier in this blog. As I reflect over my many roles/titles, (Chief Customer Officer, Senior Vice President, Director of Marketing, Brand Manager, College Tour Guide, Janitor, to name a few) I think that my best job ever was as “Pot Washer” for Dick’s Diner in Murrysville Pa.

Dick’s Diner is a classic diner that has been in business in Murrysville for over fifty years. My family ate there pretty regularly when I was a boy; and after my mother passed away in 1974, it was a god-send for my dad, my sister and me. I started working there after I turned sixteen and worked there my junior and senior years of high school. I didn’t start as “Pot Washer,” having to begin as “Bus Boy,” then moving to “Dishwasher,” and finally achieving the “Pot Washer” role! The big difference about that specific job was that you didn’t have to work a specific time-bound shift. Instead, I had a set of defined tasks that were required to complete:

1) Clean all the pots from the days’ cooking (there was always a mountain)
2) Sweep and mop all bathrooms, replace towel rolls in all bathrooms
3) Help the dishwasher during the dinner rush
4) Bring up all the ingredients needed by the night bakers from the basement storeroom
5) 15 minute dinner break all food free except Steak, Shrimp and Cherry Pie (Free as long as you had finished your dinner in the 15 minutes!)

As I think back to that role, there are a few specific characteristics that made that job stand out from all the others:

Solid Skills for Success: After the previous two roles, I was very knowledgeable of how things actually worked at the diner and was I ready to succeed in the role. I knew how to manage my own time, accomplish the work that needed to be done, and work smoothly with the others working that same shift.

Clear Knowledge of Expectations: I knew what was expected and I knew what “winning “looked like. We never had to guess what the boss was thinking about, or wonder what was the latest “strategic priority” of the quarter! The diner was a 24 hour machine that never closed so if the pots didn’t get washed, of the baking didn’t get finished at night, the machine wouldn’t run, simple as that.

Strong Sense of Community: I was proud to work at the diner as a boy and still to this day, when I return to my hometown, I always stop by for a slice of pie, or a cup of coffee. On a recent trip, I stopped by for breakfast and saw a few waitresses that I had worked with back in 1978 and 1979. It was amazing; they were still waiting tables with vigor, and carrying plates of western omelet’s and home fries with grace.

Ability to Learn and Teach: In the “Pot Washer” role, I had the chance to work closely with the day cooks and the night bakers, always listening to tips and ideas on what made the chili so good (a bit of chocolate) or what made the rolls so fluffy (allowing a triple rise.) Also, the “Pot Washer” always took the new busboys under their wing, teaching them the ropes and the ins and outs of the Diner.

These four elements of job success/happiness, Solid Skills for Success, Clear Knowledge of Expectations, Strong Sense of Community, and Ability to Learn and Teach, all ring true today. Think about the role you’re in today, or the roles that you have had in the past. Doesn’t it connect that if you have had all four of these elements in place, you would be happier and more successful in the role? What’s also interesting is to think topic not from the vantage point of an employee, but as a manager. Ask yourself whether you are creating an environment where associates:

are building skills for future success?
have a clear knowledge of expectations?
have a strong sense of community?
have the ability to learn and teach?

Postscript: As I post this essay, I am excited to say that I am on my way to Murrysville and ultimately Dick’s Diner! I have had the pleasure to stay close to three of my childhood buddies, Rob, Jim and Dave, all three whom I have known since the seventh grade. This weekend is Jimmy’s fiftieth birthday party and we are all gathering to celebrate this momentous occasion. It’s hilarious to get back together with a bunch of guys that you first met in the midst of the Watergate hearings, and whom you have been telling stories to and about since the early 70’s! I am certain that we will stop at the Diner at some point over the weekend, and I am wondering if I will still recognize a few of the waitresses form the old days!

One of the specialties of the Diner, and one of my personal favorites, is their Swiss steak, served over Mashed Potatoes. While I have never been successful to get their recipe, what follows is the recipe for Robby’s mom, Mrs. Manning, which is a dead ringer! (I think the Diner added carrots to their recipe, great either way)
Enjoy!


Swiss Steak Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment